Winter in North Lake Tahoe
Olympic class skiing, offbeat experiences and lively apres
Home to the largest concentration of ski resorts in North America, North Lake Tahoe offers world class winter recreation. Whether you’re an expert skier, a leisure adventurer, a multigenerational family or a foodie, North Lake Tahoe provides an iconic winter wonderland to all. “Offbeat activities” include dog sledding, ice skating and snowshoeing, followed by some of the world’s best apres.
North Lake Tahoe Winter Facts
- North Lake Tahoe has 12 downhill ski resorts and 6 cross-country
- Average Winter Temperature: 42.5 degrees (high), 23.8 degrees (low)
- Average Snowfall = 44 inches, over 3 months
Top 5 Winter Activities
- Ski/Ride: Take some turns at one of our nationally acclaimed or boutique resorts. Enjoy private or group lessons, backcountry experiences and runs for all skill levels.
- Snowshoe: Experience a guided sunset or full moon snowshoe tour with Tahoe Adventure Company, or make your own path in the vast open space.
- Ice Skate: Glide on Northstar California’s magical outdoor ice skating rink, located in the Village. Warm up with a hot cocktail on the fireside couches.
- Sleigh Rides + Dog Sledding: Take a magical Sleigh Ride in the snow at Sand Harbor; or try Dog Sledding at the Resort at Squaw Creek.
- Apres: Sit by one the region’s stunning fire pits and build a s’more, sip on a glass of wine and enjoy some evening conversation.
Winter Treasures of Tahoe: Live like a local! Discover the region’s best kept secrets.
- Tahoe Winter Sports Park: The all-inclusive winter recreation park features cross country skiing, sledding, ice skating and snowshoeing.
- S’mores Tour: Top off skiing with scrumptious lakeside s’mores around a cozy fire pit at Granlibakken, West Shore Cafe and Kings Beach.
- Tahoe’s Dog Friendly Beaches: Let your pup roam free at on one of North Lake Tahoe’s many dog-friendly beaches.
- Winter Lakeside Sunsets: Did you know that winter is the best time to watch the sunset? The shoreline is the perfect place to experience North Lake Tahoe’s winter alpenglow.
- Lake Tahoe Film Fest: Enjoy a prestigious list of internationally acclaimed films across a variety of North Lake Tahoe venues.
- WinterWonderGrass Shake your hips to over 20+ bluegrass bands, while enjoying craft California beer and activities for the family.